A slew of frontbenchers has quit the Liberal shadow cabinet after Angus Taylor’s resignation on Wednesday night, signalling a looming leadership spill against embattled leader Sussan Ley.
Since the election in May last year, Ive sought to be a constructive member of the leadership team, and supported Sussan Leys leadership in a difficult time, he said.
But we cant mince with words. The Liberal Party is at the worst position it has been since 1944 when the party was formed.
On Thursday, a spate of frontbenchers followed suit, with Liberal Party Whip Aaron Violi confirming he hed received a request to hold a party room meeting.
So far this morning, Matt O’Sullivan, Philip Thompson, Shadow Cybersecurity and Science Minister Clare Chandler, and Senate Deputy Whip Jess Collins have resigned from the shadow ministry.
Daily Mail Australia political editor Peter van Onselen said it was difficult to see Ley surviving a leadership challenge.
Chandlers resignation is all about building momentum for Angus Taylors challenge. Its actually the same playbook Tony Abbott used to blast out Malcolm Turnbull as opposition leader back in 2009, he said.
But this time the added tactic is getting women MPs and Senators to lead the charge, in a bid to overcome the perception that the boys club is rolling the first female leader of the party.
Its the same reason Sarah Henderson and Jane Hume led the charge this week calling for change.
Its also why Zoe McKenzie is emerging as the likely running mate for deputy. Whether it works or not is another matter.
Either way its very hard to see Sussan Ley surviving this looming challenge, even though Taylor asks as many questions as he answers.